Holy Bible Search Engine


Bible Search:

Any word Exact phrase All words Starts with Ends with

Holy Bible Verse: Bible book of chapter verse

Friday, May 31, 2013

Famous Historical People Have Read The Holy Bible Too


Below we will see a list of comments famous people through history have said about reading the Holy Bible, praying, studying the scriptures, etc. Napoleon, Shakespeare, Newton, Washington and many other characters in world history had at least one thing in common...they believed in the world changing power of the Holy Bible.

RONALD REAGAN, 40th PRESIDENT OF USA “Of the many influences that have shaped the United States into a distinctive nation and people, none may be said to be more fundamental and enduring than the Bible.”



PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: "First and foremost, my Christian faith gives me a perspective and security that I don’t think I would have otherwise: That I am loved. That, at the end of the day, God is in control -- and my main responsibility is to love God with all of my heart, soul and mind, and to love my neighbor as myself. Now, I don’t always live up to that standard, but it is a standard I am always pursuing." My faith is also a great source of comfort to me. I’ve said before that my faith has grown as president. This office tends to make a person pray more; and as President Lincoln once said, “I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.”

TIME MAGAZINE "Reputable scholars now believe that the New Testament account is reliable history."

NAPOLEON BONAPARTE , EMPEROR OF FRANCE for 10 years, conquered large parts of Europe, 1769-1821: "The Bible is no mere book, but a Living Creature, with a power that conquers all that oppose it. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne & I myself have founded empires, but upon what do these creations of our genius depend?--Upon force! Jesus alone founded His empire upon love, & to this very day millions would die for Him." “The gospel is not a book; it is a living being, with an action, a power, which invades every thing that opposes its extension, behold! It is upon this table: This book, surpassing all others. I never omit to read it, and every day with some pleasure.”

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE , ENGLISH POET, DRAMATIST & ACTOR, 1564-1616: "I commend my soul into the hands of God my Creator, hoping & assuredly believing, through the merits of Jesus Christ my Saviour, to be made partaker of life everlasting."


SUN YAT-SEN, (1866 -1925) - the Father of Modern China.
Oddly enough many modern biographies completely omit stories of personal faith, which in most devout believers greatly shapes all they do. Sun Yat-sen, according to historian Hu Sheng of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, studied in two missionary schools during his stay in Hawaii where he was converted to Christianity. " From the Opium war to the May Fourth Movement - Foreign Languages Press - Beijing, page 307)

WILLIAM GLADSTONE , PRIME MINISTER OF ENGLAND, 1809-1898: "All that I think, all that I hope, all that I write, all that I live for, is based upon the divinity of Jesus Christ, the central joy of my poor, wayward life. I have known 95 of the World's greatest men in my time, & of these, 87 were followers of the Bible."

GEORGE WASHINGTON , 1st US PRESIDENT, 1732-1799: "It is impossible to rightly govern the World without God & the Bible."

JOHN ADAMS , 2nd PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A., 1735-1826: "The Bible contains more philosophy than all the libraries that I have ever seen, & such parts as I cannot reconcile with my little philosophy, I postpone for future investigation."

Sir Frederic Kenyon, Director and principal librarian of the British museum, foremost expert on ancient manuscripts: “The interval between the dates of original composition (of the N.T.) and the earliest extant evidence becomes so small as to be in fact negligible and the foundation for any doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed; both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the N.T. may be regarded as firmly established.”

WILLIAM COWPER, ENGLISH POET, 1731-1800: "What various hindrances we meet in coming to the mercy seat! Yet who that knows the worth of prayer but wishes to be often there."

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETH E, GERMAN POET, 1749-1832: "Let mental culture go on advancing, let the natural sciences progress in ever greater extent & depth, & the human mind widen itself as much as it desires!--Beyond the elevation & moral culture of Christianity, as it shines forth in the Gospels, it will not go."

THOMAS JEFFERSON, 3rd PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A., 1743-1826: "I have always said that a studious perusal of the Sacred Volume will make you better citizens, better fathers & better husbands."

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETH E, GERMAN POET, 1749-1832: "Let mental culture go on advancing, let the natural sciences progress in ever greater extent & depth, & the human mind widen itself as much as it desires!--Beyond the elevation & moral culture of Christianity, as it shines forth in the Gospels, it will not go."

MICHELANGELO , ITALIAN SCULPTOR, PAINTER, ARCHITECT & poet, 1475-1564: "I die for the faith of Jesus Christ, & in the firm hope of a better life."

JOHN QUINCY ADAMS , 6th PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A.., 1767-1848: "The first & almost only book deserving of universal attention is the Bible. I speak as a man of the World. So great is my veneration for the Bible, that the earlier my children begin to read it, the more confident will be my hope that they will prove useful citizens of their country & respectable members of society. I have for many years made it a practice to read through the Bible once every year."

WILLIAM WORDSWORTH , ENGLISH POET LAUREATE, 1770-1850:
Oh! There is never sorrow of heart
That shall lack a timely end,
If but to God we turn, & ask
Of Him to be our friend! 

ZACHARY TAYLOR , 12th PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A., 1784-1850: "It was for the love of the truths of this great & good Book that our fathers abandoned their native shores for the wilderness."

ABRAHAM LINCOLN , 16th AMERICAN PRESIDENT, 1809-1865: "I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from the Saviour of the World is communicated to us through this book." “I am busily engaged in the study of the Bible. I believe it is God’s word because it finds me where I am.” & "I am profitably engaged in reading the Bible. Take all of this Book that you can by reason, & the balance by faith, & you will live & die a better man. It is the best Book which God has given to man."

SIR WALTER SCOTT, SCOTTISH NOVELIST, POET, 1771-1832:
Within this ample Volume lies
The mystery of mysteries.
Happiest they of human race
To whom their God has given grace
To read, to fear, to hope, to pray,
To lift the latch, to force the way;
But better had they ne'er been born
That read to doubt or read to scorn. 

LEO TOLSTOY , RUSSIAN NOVELIST & PHILOSOPHER, 1828-1910: Many consider him to be one of the World's greatest writers. He wrote "War & Peace". "To understand the whole work of the Master is not in my power; but to do His will, written in my conscience, that is in my power, & that I know without a doubt. And when I do this, then undoubtedly I am at peace."

THEODORE ROOSEVELT , 26th PRESIDENT of the U.S.A., 1858-1919: "A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education. Almost every man who has by his lifework added to the sum of human achievement...has based his lifework largely upon the teachings of the Bible."

WOODROW WILSON , 28th PRESIDENT of the U.S.A., held office during WW1, 1856-1924: "A man has deprived himself of the best there is in the World who has deprived himself of a knowledge of the Bible." “When you have read the Bible, you know it is the word of God, because it is the key to your heart, your own happiness, and your own duty.”

ALFRED LORD TENNYSON , ENGLISH POET LAUREATE, 1809-1892: "Bible reading is an education in itself."

CHARLES DICKENS , ENGLISH NOVELIST, 1812-1870: "The New Testament is the very best book that was or ever will be known in the World."

RALPH WALDO EMERSON , WRITER & PHILOSOPHER, 1803-1882: "All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."

SOREN KIERKEGAARD , DANISH PHILOSOPHER, 1813-1855: "The tyrant dies & his rule ends, the martyr dies & his rule begins."

HERBERT HOOVER , 31st PRESIDENT of the U.S.A., 1874-1964: "There is no other book so various as the Bible, nor one so full of concentrated wisdom. Whether it be of law, business, morals etc...he who seeks for guidance...may look inside its covers & find illumination."

J.S. BACH , MUSIC COMPOSER - I play the notes as they are written but it is God who makes the music.

FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT , 32nd PRESIDENT of the U.S.A., 1882-1945: "The influence of the Scriptures in the early days of the Republic is plainly revealed in the writing & thinking of the men who made the nation possible...They found in the Scriptures that which shaped their course & determined their cause." & “A thorough understanding of the Bible is better than a college education.”

DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER , 34th PRESIDENT of the U.S.A., 1890-1969: "To read the Bible is to take a trip to a fair land where the spirit is strengthened & faith renewed."

WERNER VON BRAUN , THE FATHER OF US SPACE PROGRAM AND RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FIRST MAN TO THE MOON - "In this age of space flight, when we use the modern tools of science to advance into new regions of human activity, the Bible... this grandiose, stirring history of the gradual revelation and unfolding of moral law... remains in every way an up-to-date book. Our knowledge and use of the laws of nature taht enable us to fly to the moon also enable us to destroy our home planet with the atom bomb. Science itself does not address the question whether we should use the power at our disposal for good or for evil. The guidelines of what we ought to do are furnished in the moral law of God. It is no longer enough that we pray that God may be with us on our side. We must learn again to pray that we may be on God's side".

QUEEN VICTORIA , QUEEN OF GREAT BRITAIN, 1819-1901: "That Book accounts for the supremacy of England. England has become great & happy by the knowledge of the true God through Jesus Christ." 

CHIEF DAN GEORGE , CANADIAN INDIAN CHIEF & film director, 1910-?: "When the White man came we had the land & they had the Bibles, now they have the land & we have the Bibles."

GEORGE S. PATTON , GENERAL OF 3rd U.S. ARMY IN EUROPE IN WWII, 1885-1945: "Yes, I read the Bible--every God-damned day!" 

JOHANNES KEPLER , GERMAN ASTRONOMER, known for his three laws of planetary action, 1571-1630: "Let my name perish if only the name of God the Father is thereby elevated."

ROBERT BOYLE , IRISH PHYSICIST & CHEMIST, called "the father of chemistry", 1627-1691: Boyle read the Bible every morning throughout his life, & "did his utmost to defend & uphold the great doctrines of the Scripture". He financed & distributed thousands of copies of a new Irish translation of the Bible.

SIR ISAAC NEWTON , ENGLISH SCIENTIST who formulated the laws of gravitation & motion, 1642-1727: Newton's achievements in science are very well known, but it is not so well known that he spent more time studying the Bible than studying the stars. "There are more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history. All my discoveries have been made in answer to prayer. I can take my telescope & look millions of miles into space; but I can go away to my room & in prayer get nearer to God & Heaven than I can when assisted by all the telescopes of Earth." “We account the scriptures of God to be the most sublime philosophy. I find more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history whatsoever.”

DOUGLAS MacARTHUR , FIVE-STAR GENERAL IN WWII, 1900-1964: "Believe me, sir, never a night goes by, be I ever so tired, but I read the Word of God before I go to bed."

ULYSSES S. GRANT , AMERICAN GENERAL, 18TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A., 1822-1885: "To the influence of the Book we are indebted for the progress made in civilisation, & to this we must look as our guide in the future. The Bible is the sheet-anchor of our liberties."

GENERAL PERSHING , COMMANDER OF AMERICAN FORCES IN WW1, 1860-1948: "I have known Jesus Christ now for 47 years, & I could not face life without Him. I commend such a Savior to you."

SIR WILLIAM HERSCHEL , GERMAN-BORN ASTRONOMER, discoverer of the planet Uranus, 1738-1822: "All human discoveries seem to be made only for the purpose of confirming more & more strongly the truth contained in the Sacred Scriptures."

SAMUEL F.B. MORSE , INVENTED THE MORSE CODE, 1791-1872: The first message ever sent in this code on the new line from Baltimore to Washington was four words from the Bible: "What hath God wrought!" Sam Morse wrote to his brother, "It is His work, & He alone could have carried me thus far through all my trials." 

CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS - "It was the Lord who put into my mind (I could feel His hand upon me) the fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me. There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because He comforted me with rays of marvelous inspiration from the Holy Scriptures". 

LORD KELVIN , BRITISH INVENTOR, known for the absolute scale of temperature, first transatlantic telegraph cable & helping to formulate the 2nd law of thermodynamics, 1824-1907: "The commencement of life upon Earth certainly did not take place by any action of chemistry or electricity or crystalline grouping of molecules. We must pause, face to face with the mystery & miracle of the Creation of living creatures." .

THOMAS HUXLEY , ENGLISH BIOLOGIST, 1825-1895: "The Bible has been the Magna Carta of the poor & oppressed. The human race is not in a position to dispense with it."

DR. ROBERT A. MILLIKAN , AMERICAN NUCLEAR PHYSICIST & Nobel Prize winner, 1868-1953: "Just as behind this watch there had to be a watchmaker, so behind the intricate precision & timing of this great Universe there had to be a Great Creator or Designer!"

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER , AMERICAN NEGRO SCIENTIST who won international fame for agricultural research, 1864-1943: Carver spent much time in prayer, & his faith & prayer, rather than his microscope, made him a success. For each problem & each discovery he spent much time praying & waiting on the Lord for results. When friends & other great men of the World came to visit, he would explain to them the Scriptures & give his own testimony of his love for the Lord.

JAMES CLERK MAXWELL , SCOTTISH SCIENTIFIC GENIUS, predicted the existence of radio waves long before their discovery, 1831-1879: "No theory of evolution can be formed to account for the similarity of molecules...Science is incompetent to reason upon the creation of matter itself out of nothing." He maintained to the end his firm faith in the Bible, "deep humility before God, reverent submission to His will, & hearty belief in the love & atonement of the Divine Savior."

SIR AMBROSE FLEMING , ENGLISH INVENTOR 1849-1948. He was a leader in the development of electric lighting, the telephone, & wireless telegraphy in England & inventor of the first electron tube. "There is abundant evidence that the Bible, though written by men, is not the product of the human mind. By countless multitudes it has always been revered as a communication to us from the Creator of the Universe. “We must not build on the sands of an uncertain and everchanging science…but upon the rock of inspired Scriptures.”

SIR JAMES SIMPSON , SCOTTISH, PIONEER IN OBSTETRICS & discoverer of chloroform, 1811-1870: When asked at a great public meeting what his greatest discovery had been, he replied without hesitation: "That I have a Saviour."

PASCAL, French philosopher and mathematician, developed the modern theory of probability, 1623-1662 “I prefer to believe those writers who get their throats cut for what they write.”
Voltaire, French infidel, died 1778 - said that within 100 years of his time, Christianity would be swept away from existence and pass into the obscurity of history. -Yet 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society used his house and printing press to produce stacks of Bibles.

The Cambridge History of the Bible “No other book has known anything approaching this constant circulation.”

JEAN Jacques Rousseau, French skeptic “Jewish authors would never have invented either that style nor that morality; and the Gospel has marks of truth so great, so striking, so utterly inimitable, that the invention of it would be more astonishing than the hero.”

ROBERT DICK WILSON, fluent in more than 45 languages and dialects “I may add that the result of my 45 years of study of the Bible has led me all the time to a firmer faith that in the Old Testament, we have a true historical account of the history of the Israelite people.”

ROBERT E. LEE, Civil War General who fought for the Southern Confederacy: “In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.”

PATRICK HENRY, American Revolutionary leader and orator, 1736-1799 "There is a book worth all other books which were ever printed."


PETER THE GREAT , (Emperor of Russia) when he saw sunrise, would express his wonder that men should be so stupid not to rise every morning to behold one of the most glorious sights in the universe. "They delight," said he, "in gazing on a picture, the trifling work of a mortal, and at the same time neglect one painted by the hand of the Deity Himself. For my part," added he, "I am for making my life as long as I can, and therefore sleep as little as possible."

GOVERNOR MITT ROMNEY: "Faith is integral to my life. I have served as a lay pastor in my church. I faithfully follow its precepts. I was taught in my home to honor God and love my neighbor. My father was committed to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s cause of equality, and I saw my parents provide compassionate care to others, in personal ways to people nearby and in leading national volunteer movements. My faith is grounded in the conviction that a consequence of our common humanity is our responsibility to one another -- to our fellow Americans foremost, but also to every child of God." “Every religion has its own unique doctrines and history. These should not be bases for criticism but rather a test of our tolerance.” He quoted Matthew 25:35-36 in the King James Version, which states, “For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me.”

No comments: